First Connecticut Lake
Surrounded by mountains and hills, you’ll find First Connecticut Lake in Pittsburg NH. The first in a chain of lakes running numerically south to north, First Connecticut is the largest of the four Connecticut Lakes. First Lake is located seven miles north of the village of Pittsburg NH. North of the 45th Parallel, the glacial lake reaches depths of more than 160′.
Anglers come to the area to fish the deep waters for lake trout and salmon in warmer months and to fish for cusk and lake trout in winter.
Lake Trout – Fish for lake trout from January 1 until September 30. 2 fish daily limit. Minimum length 18 inches. Daily bag limit for lake trout is 2 fish.
Salmon – Fish for landlocked salmon from April 1 until September 30. 2 fish daily limit. Minimum length 15 inches. Daily bag limit for salmon is 2 fish.
Daily bag limit for lake trout and salmon is 2 fish (2 lake trout, 2 salmon, or 1 of each).
Ice fishing is permitted on the lake from January 1 thru March 31. Only two trap (lines) are permitted be angler. Daily bag limit for lake trout is 2 fish and the minimum length is 18 inches. There is no length minimum or daily limit for cusk. For more on fishing First Connecticut Lake. Visit NH Fish and Game for more information on fishing the Connecticut Lakes Region.
Boat Launches on First Lake
There are three boat launches on First Connecticut Lake in Pittsburg.
- There is a developed launch near the dam on US Rte 3. There is a picnic area and beach area for swimming. There is ample parking for vehicles and trailers.
- Just north of the dam there is a small, gravel launch near Stewart Young Road. Launch smaller boats and water crafts such as kayaks and canoes here. Parking is limited.
- At the end of Camp Otter Road you’ll find a gravel launch. Parking is limited.
Persons 16 years old and older who operate a motorboat over 25 hp or a ski craft in New Hampshire must have a boating education certificate.
- Surface elevation: 1,638′
- Area: 4.798 sq miles / 2800 acres
- GPS: 45°5′37″N 71°14′52″W
- Length: 5.3 miles
- Width: 2.7 miles
- Outflow location: First Lake Dam / Connecticut River
- Inflow source: Connecticut River
- Cities: Pittsburg
Depth Contour Chart